- 16 Download
- 2.96 MB File Size
- 1 File Count
- June 16, 2016 Create Date
- November 16, 2016 Last Updated
Briefing Note for Policy Makers
- The New Urban Agenda (NUA) has to address land as a key focus area.
- NUA has to address land in all types of human settlements – rural, peri-urban and urban, rich and poor.
- NUA needs to stress that no one should be left behind concerning land rights. NUA needs to confirm the duty of States to recognize, respect and safeguard all legitimate tenure rights holders and their rights, and promote and facilitate the enjoyment of them. NUA needs to confirm that business enterprises have a responsibility to respect human rights and legitimate tenure rights.
- NUA needs to stress the importance of responsible public regulation of land use, determined by the long-term interests of the public, in particular the affected communities, including the poor.
- NUA needs to stress the potential of land to generate municipal income to be used to finance public infrastructure and services for all segments of society, including the poor.
- NUA needs to confirm and build on existing international instruments that promote secure tenure for all, public control of land use and responsible land governance.
- NUA should embrace and incorporate all commitments related to land made by the Vancouver Action Plan and the Habitat Agenda.
|Land in the NUA FINAL .pdf||Download|