The Dubai Land Department, the Global Land Tool Network, UN-Habitat, the Arab League and the Arab Union of Surveyors organized the first Arab Land Conference in Dubai, UAE, on the 26-28 February 2018. Hosted by the Emirate of Dubai, UAE, the First Arab Land Conference was attended by a diverse audience with over 300 participants composed by government delegations, Ministers, land professionals, academia, civil society, women’s groups, private sector, real estate developers and international organisations
The objective of the conference was to exchange knowledge, promote regional cooperation and develop capacities and innovation in land governance and real estate reforms to promote the social and economic development in the Arab region.
The topics highlighted in the conference were: (1) Access to land for sustainable business and investment; (2) Land and Conflict; and (3) Women access to land. Technical sessions looked at other land additional issues. Experts and practitioners submitted papers or presentations relevant to the six topics of the conference.
Presentations and technical sessions took place on:
- Access to land for sustainable business and investment
- Interlink between housing policy and land management
- Education, research and capacity development on land policy, management, and administration
- Protection of land and property rights of displaced people and refugees to facilitate reconstruction
- Women, land and property rights
- New technologies to support land and real estate registration systems, property valuation and taxation policies