From the 27th – 31st May, UN-Habitat will hold its first Assembly. With a new governance structure approved in 2018, the UN-Habitat Assembly is the highest-level governance body of UN-Habitat. Previously undertaken by the Governing Council and comprising of 58-member states, the Assembly will include all 193 member states that are part of the UN system. The event is a mixture of legislative and non-legislative events.UN Habitat Assembly Website
GLTN will hold several key activities next week during the Assembly. These include:
Monday 27th May :
- Press conference on the Secretary General’s Guidance note on land and conflict: 2pm-2.45pm, Press room. This event is a big kudos for GLTN partners who co-developed the note alongside UN-Habitat and other partners including DESA, DPPA, DPO, FAO, OHCHR, PBSO, UNDP, UNEP, UNHCR and UN-Women. We are looking forward to more news on the impact that this guidance note will have on the UN system. Find out more here (LINK).
- Side event on Community Data in slums and informal settlements: 6pm, Conference Room 6. GLTN will showcase its work on improving the lives of those living in informal settlements and slums through our inclusive approach to tenure security data collection. See more about GLTN’s work in slums and informal settlements here (LINK).
Thursday 30th May
- Side event on Land markets in peri-urban areas: 15-2.45pm, Classroom 6. This side event will draw attention action and research conducted by GLTN partners addressing land-related challenges of urban expansion and integrated territorial planning.
Other activities throughout the week
- The GLTN Booth where we’ll be sharing information about GLTN and our global and country level impacts. There will also be demonstrations about the low-cost technology, the Social Tenure Domain Model (STDM) every morning and afternoon at the GLTN Booth.
- STDM demonstration event, Friday 1.15-2.45pm, UN-Habitat Fukuoka room. For more information about STDM, go to the website: https://stdm.gltn.net/ .
Follow and participate in the conversations on social media, with the hashtags #UrbanInnovation #Innovate4change.
The UN Habitat social media accounts to follow are :
- Twitter: twitter.com/UNHABITAT and twitter.com/unhabitatyouth
- SPANISH: Twitter: twitter.com/onuhabitat
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/unhabitat/
- Flicker: www.flickr.com/photos/unhabitat/
Feel free to tag us in you posts as well, on Facebook (@landgltn), Twitter (@GLTNnews), Instagram (@global.land.tool.network), and LinkedIn (@globallandtoolnetwork) #tenuresecurity. You can also download the UN Habitat Assembly app on the Apple App Store or on Google Play to stay up to date with events, activities and announcement of resolutions.
Come and say hello if you are at the Assembly. For more information on the GLTN activities during the event, kindly contact Melissa Permezel, Partnership Coordinator (Melissa.firstname.lastname@example.org).